Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What Adam Ate

"Whether a nibble or a juicy pleasure bite, all sin's the spoiled same"

       What did Adam eat? Some argue that he ate an apple, hardly probable since apples do not originate in the land Eden was supposed to have been in. Olives are most common, though cinematically this does not produce as sexual a picture as Eve. A naked goddess herself in that she was the sole woman on Earth and so (one can argue) the archetype of womanly beauty, biting into a crunchy red apple- as red as sin itself. Can you see that with an olive? Maybe men can...I have digressed. The point is not what Adam ate, but the representation of such. 
       He took part in knowledge that was not his. "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (NKJV 2:17) In the Reina Valera 1960 spanish versions the word knowledge is translated as ciencia or science. Man was destined to roam Eden, wild and free, with a mate "comparable to him" (comparable but not equal? More on that later). But he took part, with his free will, to eat the damned fruit and gave up eternal pleasures for the desire to know more. He chose to become as God, to open his eyes and know good and evil. 
       The question asked of me then is this; why is it bad to know good and evil? If God did not want automatons to worship him daily (who honestly would?) but instead wanted humanity to make our own choices then why would he deny us Science? Why would he deny us to know good and evil? What did we know before that? There is no neutrality. We cannot know good without knowing evil or vice versa. The only neutral haven is found in ignorance, in unknowing. How then, before the fall of man, were we not considered automatons? When God created Eve "they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed" (NKJV 2:25) Why should they have felt ashamed unless they were doing something bad? They were veiled in this cloud of ignorance that was only lifted after a cunning serpent's powerful words. "you will be like God" (NKJV 3:25)
       Made in his image, and to his likeness, but fit to ordain animals and live amongst the trees. Intellect, knowledge, science was forbidden to us. But we ate what Adam ate. As a Biology and Philosophy major, I eat what Adam ate all the time. Am I to be like Adam, ashamed to know my nakedness? Ashamed to understand that I now understand? I do not know.

I love God and trust in Him. But the more I realize the power of our intellect, the more I realize we are like Him, whether He planned it or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment